Kayak Fishing is simply: Fishing from a kayak. Kayak fishing is an fun sport, and it is a pass time that me and my dad share regularly. We love the unique challenge the kayaking brings to fishing. The excitement of battling a large fish that is pulling you across the water is more than the excitement you would have in a conventional fishing boat.
Fishing from a kayak is great for a number of reasons:
- Low cost (almost no cost per trip)- a decent kayak can cost $500 but you’;ll never have to pay for gas like a engine powered boat! once you buy your fishing gear and kayak you’re pretty much off the hook for expensive investments… unless you want to upgrade!
- Ease of boat launch- Pull up your truck to a lake or pond, grab your kayak and hop in! No boat trailer, or launch fee required!
- maneuverability- Kayaks can go many places bigger boats can’t! But you wont be traveling very far so its a trade-off.
- exercise- paddling is a great way to stay in shape! just wait and see how sore you are after your first adventure if you’ve never used those “paddling muscles” before!
- added challenge to fishing- fishing can be tough already, but once your experienced it needs something extra to make it more interesting. Kayak fishing is perfect for that! You’ll see what I’m talking about when you give it a try.
The Tricky Part:
- You will be in a lot smaller of a space than a normal fishing boat
- holding your place against a current and fishing at the same time is very difficult! (anchor recommended)
- tying a new rig on your pole if one breaks off can be a hassle since there isn’t a whole lot of room.
- If you need to use the bathroom you have a few options: jump out and “go” in the water (can be done) or stand up and “go” (very difficult to not tip) or paddle to shore (a pain in the butt)
- NEVER forget your paddle. It will ruin your whole day if the place your fishing is far from home. (trust me I know)
Kayak fishing is great! And if you have never tried it you need to! I know buying the best fishing kayak on the market and all the kayak angling equipment may seem expensive right now, but there are a lot of things you can do to find them cheaper. Buying a used kayak is a good example. If you want it, don’t let anything hold you back!